Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Its a Date But with YES or NO

I read something in a book which i find so interesting and not so interesting but juss wanted to share with you. The author while explaining different cultural meanings of 'Yes' cites this example.

(See a gal and a guy conversation on a date, each belong to a different country and culture)

Guy: Won't you have a dessert?
Gal: Yes, I'm on diet
***(While Gal is on phone, Guy orders and Waitress serves two desserts on table and then)***
Gal: I just said I won't have any! Didn't you hear me say YES??
Guy: YES!
Gal: Do you mean YES, you heard me say NO, or NO, You heard me say YES?
Guy: NO, I mean YES, you said NO, meaning YES, NO?
Gal(Yells): YES! which means NO, I said YES: that is NO! Dont you understand?!
Guy: NO! er....I mean YES....I mean.....
Guy&Gal(In mind): GRR! No wonder they say mixed marriages never work!

PS:As original one in comic style, added some lines in between to make it easy to comprehend.

(Taken from a book Social Psychology Across Cultures by Peter B.Smith/Michael Harris Bond)

No comments:

Post a Comment